5 Alternatives to the Typical Vacation
It’s time to get out and explore beyond the beach
Join Frontiers at Belize River Lodge and enjoy both fly fishing and spin fishing the flats and river systems for bonefish.
Photo credit: Frontiers
It’s time to get out and explore beyond the beach – from mountain biking down a volcano in Ecuador or visiting remote birding sites in Iceland. Farther south, you can spring forward all the way to fall, when the fishing is great in Patagonia. Here are five alternative vacation ideas:
1. Mountain bike Cotopaxi: The Andes highland region of Ecuador sees spring-like weather all year, making a mountain biking tour of the foothills around Cotopaxi National Park with Adventure Life ideal. Ride to waterfalls, lakes and Inca ruins during the day, and stay in classic haciendas each night. Finish with a descent of Cotopaxi Volcano into the valley.
2. Go birding in wild Westfjords: Tour the remote towns and narrow, winding dirt roads of the wild Westfjords of Iceland with Big Chill Adventures to see the large puffin colonies of the Latrabjarg Cliffs. In late spring, the birds are building nests and roosting, and you’ll have them to yourself before summer crowds arrive.
3. Fish for bonefish in Belize: Join Frontiers at Belize River Lodge, a world-class property set among tropical greenery and colorful flowers, and enjoy both fly fishing and spin fishing the flats and river systems for bonefish, tarpon and permit. Other activities include snorkeling, birding, ziplining, cave tubing and visiting Maya ruins.
4. Snorkel and kayak Thailand: On this Adventure Life trip, snorkel the clear waters of the Gulf of Thailand, home to abundant coral and marine life, and spend a day exploring the uninhabited islands of Angthong Marine Park by kayak. There’s also plenty of time to relax on the idyllic beaches of Koh Samui or celebrate Songkran, the new year according to the Thai calendar, in April.
5. Bag trout in Patagonia: Argentina’s Limay River Lodge has the unique distinction of being the only destination fishing lodge on the banks of this tail water with exclusive put-in access. With Frontiers, you’ll mesh big-water drift fishing and walk-and-wade opportunities for larger-than-average river rainbows, browns and fall migratory brown trout.
For more travel inspiration, read: