Whether lounging by the shimmering oceanfront pool enjoying the coastal views and a refreshing cocktail, or experiencing the seasonal epicurean delights courtesy of Chef Teddy Folkman and his team, the Beach Club at Timbers Kiawah Ocean Club & Residences in South Carolina is the prime gathering spot for owners and their guests.
A native New Yorker who trained under the James Beard Award winning chef Ann Cashion, Chef Teddy dominated the Washington, D.C. food scene as the executive chef of the popular Granville Moore’s on H Street NE. He’s been a regular on the Food Network, beating Bobby Flay in a throw down and competing on season 5 of The Next Food Network Star.
Chef Teddy recently shared his shrimp burger recipe with Ocean Home, a burger which combines local shrimp with a spicy kick, perfect for spring or summertime entertaining.
“Topped with a refreshing cucumber slaw, the shrimp burger has been on our menu since we opened, and is one of our owners’ all-time favorites,” said Folkman, who’s the food and beverage manager of Timbers Kiawah Ocean Club & Residences.
CHEF TEDDY’S SHRIMP BURGER AND CUCUMBER SLAW
.5 lb Shrimp, Cut Into ½” Pieces
.5 lb Shrimp, Pureed
1 tsp Ginger, Grated
1 tsp Garlic, Grated
1 tbsp Scallions, Sliced Thin
1 tbsp Blackening Spice
Zest from 1 lemon
1 English Cucumber
.5 cup White Vinegar
.5 Cup Water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Sambal Paste
- Place .5 pounds of shrimp in a food processor and blend until a paste forms, ensuring to scrape down the sides from time to time for even mixing.
- In a bowl, add the shrimp puree with the ½ inch cut pieces of shrimp, along with the grated ginger, garlic, scallions, blackening spice, and lemon zest.
- Hand mix (with a glove on) until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Note: the mix will be sticky, which is perfectly fine.
- When fully mixed, pull out a small tasting portion and cook the ensure proper taste. Adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Portion into 3 shrimp patties. Place on well-greased parchment lined sheet pan.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium/medium high heat, and add 1 tablespoon of oil
- Sear off shrimp burger for approximately 3 minutes (or until golden brown) on each side
- Cook in a 400-degree oven for 6 minutes
- Top with Cucumber Slaw
- Cut cucumber lengthwise into ribbons
- Combine all ingredients and let sit overnight in a tightly sealed container.