Kasiiya Papagayo, an oceanfront eco-retreat in Costa Rica, opened in 2019 with five tented suites: three overlook the beach and two more are perched on the hillside. Requiring zero impact on the surrounding environment, the owner wanted the land left unscarred so it looks the same for centuries to come—without compromising luxury or comfort.
“The rooms are designed as freestanding tents merged
in the jungle with amazing sea views. The main challenge
was to maintain the environment as it was when we arrived.
Not a single tree was cut or moved for the project.”
– Réda Amalou, Founder and Partner, and Stéphanie Ledoux, Associate Architect, of AW²
The designers took on the challenge of this very specific design brief by creating structures made from natural materials that rest on timber frame platforms—no need for concrete or nails. The spacious suites include a king bed, lounge space, closet, bathroom with indoor and outdoor shower, and private terrace.
1. Percal bed linens, Rivolta Carmignani, rivoltacarmignani.com
2. Sofa cushions, Sunbrella, sunbrella.com
3. Brass lamps , design by AW², aw2.com
4. Oiled Mansonia headboard, design by AW², aw2.com
5. Oiled Mansonia bedside table, design by AW², aw2.com